1

NYC: Seattle Cafe & Grill

on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 in , , , , ,
This has been a whirlwind trip so far. This week holds 4 states in 5 days in store for me, so I may have to post some of my eating observations well after-the-fact.

I want to write about a quick bite I had for lunch the other day in NYC. A colleague and I had wrapped up a meeting and were chilling at a Starbucks next to Penn Station when we decided it was time for lunch.

As usual, I didn't have a lot of time so it had to be quick. I planned to stop at a Quizno's to grab a sandwich on my way to the train for my next appointment. On, the way there my co-worker pointed out a different place and said I had to try it. It was called the Seattle Cafe and Grill, and I figured why not grab a sandwich there? It's closer to Penn Station anyway.

We walked inside to discover that the place was absolutely full - no seating for anyone. Customers had to stalk people for their chairs as they left.

Next, I noticed the menu. They had everything from burgers, sandwiches, soups , to....wait for it...wait for it...INDIAN FOOD!!!!

Look at the title of this entry to understand why that was so surprising! I had not had Indian food in a while, so it was very tempting. I'm a very particular about Indian food and I have to say, it looked really good. I broke down and ordered Indian food at the Seattle Cafe & Grill - what did I have to lose?

I ordered a non-vegetarian platter which included 2 meats, a vegetable dish rice, daal and naan. For those new to Indian food, daal is lentils and naan is our version of bread (have I mentioned that I am Indian?).

The two meats I chose were simply bbq chicken or what we call tandoori chicken. One was marinated in traditional tandoori spices while the other was marinated in a more heavy cream sauce. Both were great. I also had a chick pea curry which was amazing with the rice and naan.

Normally if you eat this type of food at an Indian restaurant in the city, you would likely spend $50. Here at the Seattle Cafe & Grill, $7.95! That's right, all of the above and a fraction of the cost! It wasn't gourmet Indian food, but I would absolutely go back when in a pinch and hungry. Service was fast, and truly a take-out place. For the price it is a no-brainer, I would recommend it to anyone.

The Seattle Cafe & Grill
430 7th Ave
New York, NY 10119
212.563.2911p

Seattle Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 Comments


I walk by this place all the time and noticed that they had Indian food. I remember thinking that it must be nasty. Looks like I'll have to give it a chance.