0

Memphis: The Butcher Shop Steak House

on Sunday, February 22, 2009 in , , , , , , ,
Still in Memphis, I was looking for a nice place to eat out for dinner. I was in the mood for a steak and gone are the days of expensing Ruth's Chris or Morton's. I checked with the concierge and some local customers for recommendations.

Over and over, I was referred to The Butcher Shop. Interesting name to say the least. One of the ladies we asked said she was a vegetarian but even she would consider eating the steaks from that place! Pretty impressive reference! Here is a link to the website and menu.

The restaurant was only a few blocks away from our hotel. The atmosphere is very laid back and casual. To be frank, I was not a big fan at first glance and first whiff. The place kind of stunk - it smelled like a dive bar with beer on the floor, etc. Not appetizing.

Well, no turning back - it was getting late and this was probably our best bet in the area. After looking at the menu we decided to get the Cajun shrimp appetizer and we both opted for the salad bar to start our meal.

The salad bar was OK, nothing special, I have seen better salad bars at Jason Deli's or even Ruby Tuesdays.

When we came back from the salad bar our shrimp app was served nice and hot. Surprisingly, it was really good! It was supposed to be Cajun and had some of that Southern spice and heat but was served in a scampi format with a little more sauce that the shrimp were floating around in. Still very good and very rich.

For my entree I ordered the 8-ounce filet with a baked potato. The steak came out and it was cooked to my liking, medium-well. Typically, I would order that cut of meat cooked medium, but the questionable atmosphere pushed me to medium-well.

For the price ($30.00 per head) it was a reasonable steak.

Butcher Shop Steak House on Urbanspoon

0 Comments