0

Milwaukee: La Fuente

on Friday, February 27, 2009 in , , , , , ,
After New York I took a quick detour to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin where I flew in and out for our sales meeting. This action-packed week has been fun but a little tiring. Nevertheless I was excited to meet up with my fellow co-workers...we always have a great time.

I flew in on Tuesday night and met some folks for dinner. My boss had a particular Mexican restaurant in mind which took some time to find it but it was worth it! The area of Milwaukee we were in was close to downtown and seems to be going through a fairly significant revitalization. There is a heavy Hispanic influence and therefore a lot of Mexican dining options.

Let me give you a little background on my experience with Mexican food. First, I have never really been a big fan of Mexican food. It's not something I can put my finger on, but for whatever reason it has just never really appealed to my palette the way other cuisines do. Recently, however, I'm finding out that maybe I've just been just eating at a lot of crappy Mexican joints! My boss was pretty adamant that this place was the bomb and anyone with that much conviction about a restaurant probably has just cause.

La Fuente is off the beaten path a little, very much a casual place with a good crowd of folks in the bar area and lots of diners. A full house is always a good sign! As is customary in a Mexican restaurant we were promptly served chips and salsa to munch on while we perused the menu. The chips are homemade, as is the salsa. I ordered an extra spicy salsa that I didn't think was very hot but mixed well with the regular salsa.

The menu had all the usual suspects. I have attached a link to their site for you to check it out for yourself: Click here.

I ordered a number five combination which came with a ground beef burrito, a chicken tostada, and chunky beef enchilada. These items were served with Mexican rice and re-fried beans.

Out came the platter and it looked pretty standard. Then I took a bite! The difference between this place and others was amazing. You can tell with one bite that the quality of ingredients used here are far superior to many other establishments. The meats are all seasoned to perfection, and I especially liked the chunky beef that was marinated, cooked and then baked for the enchilada. The cheeses used were not processed crap - very creamy and authentic. I polished down everything on my plate except the beans. I forgot to ask for black beans as I am not a fan of the re-fried stuff. Regardless, it was an absolutely fabulous meal that made my night!

With the high-quality ingredients and the prompt service one would expect a price tag just as high. Fortunately, their prices were as bargain basement as their food wasn't! I think they definitely bank on you downing some of their frozen margaritas to make up on the food costs. As you scan through the menu you will see the prices are great. Frankly, everything about this place is great. Next time you are in town check it out!




La Fuente on Urbanspoon

0 Comments